Wednesday, June 15, 2011

My Son's Quilt

When my son was two we put
him in a twin size old iron bed
that we painted red. By now
I had learned how to strip piece
but not the art of 'scrapy'. I just couldn't get that random look. Again I pieced it, mother quilted it and I put on the binding. After piecing it, I had several blocks left over so I gave them to my mother. She made a pillow sham the width of the twin bed to match his quilt. The pillow he slept on was always under the pillow with the sham. Neither of my guys at this point understood just how a SHAM FUNCTIONED. They aren't to be used, just looked at after you make the bed....right? Each night until he entered first grade his dad would read him a story. They both laid down on the twin size bed with their heads on the quilted pillow sham. When it began to look dingy, I washed it often but that didn't help much. I have quilts over 100 years old that are in great condition. This sham disolved. The fabric disappeared and there was nothing but the batting showing. Now that is a lot of bedtime stories.

No comments:

Post a Comment